Monday, March 31, 2008

Smiling so much, it Seriously hurts!

Happy Monday everyone! I am giving myself 10 minutes to write a post... in order to keep this short!

There is kind of a lot going on here - and staying busy as usual. We have finally found an intern house and half of the interns will be moving there on Wednesday. Hammer, our intern director, drew names out of a hat to see who would be moving over to the house... I was chosen to stay at the condo, which I am fine with - because that means I don't have to pack my stuff up... But then again, it will be sad because 10 of the interns will be at the house! The house is just down the street and closer to the beach, so I will be visiting A Lot. We are all pretty excited about this, we just hope that we don't break our bond and lose touch - we all know we will be working together still, it will just be Really different!

Last Thursday I went out with 3 of the other girls - Krystal, Trice and Carly. It was fun to get away from the condo with the girls. We went to a lil Irish pub in Venice which was great because it wasn't packed and there was live music.

I ended up going to work Friday in order to go to a run-through for an event we are having this coming Saturday at a Bloomingdale's with Invisible Children and Charity Water. My mom and Don will be here and will get to see a little of what I do - I'm really excited!

After our meeting with Bloomingdale's, me and Liza headed to Newport to meet up with Pete Ferrer - before we all headed to Laguna Beach for an event that Garett put together at a small surf shop. We met Pete at Javier's, which is right off of the Pacific Coast Highway - It was an awesome view, and a beautiful evening!

The event in Laguna Beach was crazy... I would say at least 150 people showed up. We had a couple artists decorate shoes and two bands play. I am guessing that all of the LB hipsters were there - there were kids everywhere... It was insane. There were so many people running around, that I felt a little uncomfortable towards the end of the event. But, the guys working at the store were really awesome and fun to work with. Honestly, the people in Laguna are a different bread. They are exactly what I think of, when I think of "The OC".

Saturday afternoon, I was one of the 'artists' at a small event at a Nordstrom's in Topanga. I think I decorated a total of 8 pairs? We met a lot of cool people who were very passionate about TOMS, which is Always fun.

Saturday night, I didn't do anything... Well, I sat in my room job searching, working on my resume and looking at non-profit organizations in LA, while some of my other room mates went out. The Nordstrom's event wore me out and I felt that I really needed to spend a good amount of time searching for jobs. It is extremely overwhelming and I don't really know where to start... I just need to remember to not get anxious, to be patient and to keep my options open and go for anything that I am interested in. Like the one bible verse from below says... "to spread my seed, see which ones grow"....

Abbi bought me my first bible! When she came back from Tennessee from her Spring break, she gave it to me - I'm really excited about it!

Sunday morning I went to Mosaic with Abbi and Meg. We went to a different location than we usually do - it was a great! Mosaic is putting together their own Style Your Sole party, so we helped hand out TOMS fliers after the service and talked to a lot of people about TOMS. I have met so many great people through Mosaic! There are people from everywhere who go there! Sunday I met someone from North Carolina and someone from Pennsylvania - and both of them have only been here for a couple months as well. It is a lot of fun to meet these people and then see them at Church and have a feeling of community, in such a big city.

I spent the rest of my Sunday doing some reading and wrote in my journal, and then went to Mosaic's evening service at the Mayan. I really had a great day. I really enjoyed Erwin's sermon and I definitely picked up different messages from both services. He gave us a lot of bible verses to look at which I am really excited about (now that I have a bible!). I am going to be going through the different verses later tonight and I will eventually write about what Erwin talked about. (If you want, you can go to their website and hear the service on their podcast!)

I've truly been blessed. I have had so much to smile about for the past couple months, and especially these past couple of weeks. And I'm not kidding about saying that my face hurts from smiling so much. :) I've had so much time, and so much encouragement to focus on myself - while building relationships and learning so much about myself in these different relationships, its truly been... amazing.

Well - I'm well over my 10 minute mark... But I want to share something that was just read to me....

Kahlil Gibran -

"And the priestess spoke again and said:

"Speak to us of Reason and Passion."

And he answered saying:

Your soul is oftentimes a battlefield, upon which your reason and your judgment wage war against passion and your appetite.

Would that I could be the peacemaker in your soul, that I might turn the discord and the rivalry of your elements into oneness and melody.

But how shall I, unless you yourselves be also the peacemakers, nay, the lovers of all your elements?

Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul.

If either your sails or our rudder be broken, you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas.

For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction.

Therefore let your soul exalt your reason to the height of passion; that it may sing;

And let it direct your passion with reason, that your passion may live through its own daily resurrection, and like the phoenix rise above its own ashes.

I would have you consider your judgment and your appetite even as you would two loved guests in your house.

Surely you would not honor one guest above the other; for he who is more mindful of one loses the love and the faith of both.

Among the hills, when you sit in the cool shade of the white poplars, sharing the peace and serenity of distant fields and meadows - then let your heart say in silence, "God rests in reason."

And when the storm comes, and the mighty wind shakes the forest, and thunder and lightning proclaim the majesty of the sky, - then let your heart say in awe, "God moves in passion."

And since you are a breath In God's sphere, and a leaf in God's forest, you too should rest in reason and move in passion."



Goodnite!!

-K to the J


*side note... I just read this post and I noticed that giving myself a time limit definitely limits the quality of my writing. So, I apologize for using "so much" about 26 times.

No comments: