Yesterday Blake's assistant Jake called me over to his desk and said, "Kirsten, there is a band comprised of three brothers, that started around 10 years ago from Tulsa, Oklahoma that will be in the office tomorrow..."
At first I thought he was pullin my chain - I looked around to see if people were watching to see how I would react and I kept saying "Are you serious? Are you serious? No, Really? Hanson? Will be here. In the office. Like physically here? Tomorrow? Are you kidding?"
Taylor was exactly what I thought he would be; very engaging, approachable and genuine. He definitely made me feel important and was engaged in our conversation. It was amazing that the person who I built him up to be, was exactly who he was. Yet, he was still just a regular person like everyone else. I have so much respect for them - that I could go on and on and on. But, I won't here. If you ever want to hear my thoughts on Hanson and my respect for them -- call me -- But, considering that after going to their concert, hearing about TOMS, getting inspired by them and that I actually took action, applied for an internship in California and moved within the span of 4 weeks -- I think you can understand what Hanson means to me. :)
This picture is of the 3 Hanson brothers & Blake:
This past week, all of us interns got to have lunch with Blake. And of course - he is always amazing to listen to. We asked him questions about where he was in his life when he started TOMS, his different business ventures, the lessons he learned along the way, advice he has for us, etc. One of Blake's favorite quotes is below:
"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
Right now, I feel like that quote really speaks to me and where I find myself today. I completely agree that everything that people do to make themselves feel secure in life, really only limits opportunities for self improvement and growth.
The picture to the left is me and 3 of the other interns with Mr. Blake himself. Don't you just love his hair?
This upcoming week will be even more exciting for me because I get to meet Brett Dennen as well! I have been in contact with his manager and I got put on the guest list for his show next Friday. Our intern director Mike will be coming with me since I only have a +1 and he is also a big fan of Brett, it only seems appropriate. But, we will get to meet him and personally bring him shoes. Mike and I have both applied for TOMS to be apart of Brett's program "Love Speaks" which would allow us to speak at one of his concerts about TOMS and our Cause. Hopefully after giving Brett a pair of TOMS, he will be interested in letting us present at one of his shows. Yay! I'm so excited!
Tomorrow we are all planning on going to the beach -- It is supposed to be a beautiful day!
More later!
PEACE & TOMS & HANSON :)
-KJ
1 comment:
soooo not fair that you get to meet two of my favorite artists in one week. brett dennen, now? stop living my dream life! (actually, keep it up - i'm totally living vicariously through you!) :)
Post a Comment